Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Youth Leaders Speak Their Hearts Out to Nick

We prepared a space of warmth & beauty for the Student Leaders who were eager to meet this man, Nick Perlas. They heard he would be President!

We read poetry together. This one seemed to call out. It was written by my friend, poet, author, teacher Dawna Markova, "I Will Not Die An Unlived Life".


I will not die an unlived life.
I will not live in fear
of falling or catching fire.
I choose to inhabit my days,
to allow my living to open me,
to make me less afraid,
more accessible,
to loosen my heart
until it becomes a wing,
a torch, a promise.
I choose to risk my significance;
to live so that which came to me as seed
goes to the next as blossom
and that which came to me as blossom,
goes on as fruit.

They came with their most heartfelt Questions:
  • How do we know who is sincere?
  • How do we solve the ailment in our country of vote buying?
  • How can we tell when a leader is running truly to serve people or only after their own agenda?
  • Do I settle for the "lesser of the evils" or risk going against the grain of popular thinking?
  • Why public office? The government is not to be trusted anymore to do the right thing, so why?
  • How does a leader handle the diversity of cultures? Our country has such diversity.
  • What is the need to advertise? They spend billions of pesos trying to compete on advertising, and we end up voting on the fanciest, not on the truth.

They left with their most soulful Reflections:
  • I assumed the election was over when the list of candidates came out. Now I realize the elections are not over yet. And that there is something I can do about how it turns out in May.
  • I do not see other candidates be able to be in reflection as I see in you, Sir Nick. Makes me feel there is hope.
  • I can see how what happens next is massive. I want to be a part of that.
  • I have never been interested in politics because it doesn't really change anything or make a difference. It's all the same. Now having been in this morning's conversation with Mr. Perlas, I feel I have to look beyond the superficial to the deep side of politics.
  • When I think of political candidates -- especially ones running for president -- I never dreamt I would be speaking to a real person, not just a politician trying to win my vote.
  • I am amazed at how sitting here, how Sir Nick allowed what I and we know of leadership. He did not preach. He helped me to see what I know.
  • Knowing you Mr. Perlas, I now understand and have a new perspective and respect for agriculture and how important it is in the making of not just the health of our bodies, but the health of our culture.
  • Today I am inspired that I can make a difference. We talked about me and not just about only the candidate.
  • I am inspired that I am powerful. Mura'g ako ug gamay nga suga nga na-on unya bright na kaayo karon. And I want to use that power like Mr. Perlas to do good for others. Not just think of myself.
And he said:
I am touched by the integrity of this group. You spoke your mind and heart openly. You verified that there is a deep longing for a new kind of politics. This morning, a flame was lit. It will pass on and continue to burn brighter and brighter. It is infinite.

May your light shine bright and forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear from you.