Saturday, February 27, 2010

Taking It To the Streets -- North Bus Terminal

Nicky Perlas was right. You come from your heart and show what is in your heart through your eyes and your smile, and they will see sincerity, care, passion, authenticity. Who can resist that?

He also said, that when connecting to your regular fellow Filipinos, especially the poor, there is no need for intellect and words, no need even for reason. They connect through a different intelligence -- through their heart, through their senses, through their intuition. They can smell truth-speaking and no b.s. right off the bat.

I had a direct personal experience of this yesterday at the North Bus Terminal. Many people were moving quickly to catch buses to go to homes in the province for the weekend; others waiting for their rides, waiting for a sale; still others just sitting and waiting, not sure for what.

After my initial trepidation at intruding on their preoccupations, I took a deep breath, approached a bench of what may have been bus drivers or operators sitting around, stuck out my first Perlas flyer and before I could run away, I dared myself to look them straight in the eye, and smile (admittedly, a little shakily).

"Unsa man na?!" demanded one of them, without extending a hand to receive my offer.

After a quick look around for my buddy who was by then nowhere to be found, I gulped and must have said something half-way intelligible (and maintained our eye contact!), because he straightened up from his I'm-busy/lazy-don't-bug-me slouch and said, "o sige beh, patan-awa ta ni-ana."

On cue, everyone else stuck their hand out to receive their copy. Phew! (And how heartwarming to see them actually reading it!)

So, yes, look them in the eye and smile with all your heart! That, and, your heart's deep knowing of the truth that Nicanor Perlas is our only hope for real and substantial change towards a better future for our Philippines...will get you everywhere! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

We want to hear from you.